Runner2Runner provides running programs for youth.
We offer age appropriate instruction for cross country, track and field, camps, and off season training. All programs focus on safe, progressive training for all athletes, including core and stability work.
- Establish teams comprised of boys and girls
- Develop understanding of team and teamwork
- Qualified, experienced, coaches lead our teams (background check and SafeSport certified)
- Personalized, progressive workouts
- Establish and build athleticism
- Guide athletes through competition
- Instill confidence to excel at life’s challenges and embrace leadership roles
- Promote life-long dedication to healthy living
- USA Track and Field member organization
NEW! Read about our "Runner2Runner+" program for the off-season!
WHY I STARTED RUNNER2RUNNER, by Melissa Hill
Our clubs were founded out of a concern for the health of our youth and a desire to teach a skill that will last a lifetime.
I believe early introduction to running in a positive environment promotes a lifelong love of running and healthy living. After moving to Portland, Oregon in 1997, I discovered youth running programs were not offered at our local school. Shortly afterwards, I started cross-country, track and field and running teams at five elementary and middle schools.
As our programs grew, we saw that high school running teams were benefiting from our initiative, resulting in state titles in track and cross country. Providing even a brief, positive introduction to running at an early age provides athletes with a foundation to participate on their high school track or cross country team and in many cases, run at the collegiate level.
COVID 19 Protocol, 2021
We take COVID19 seriously and have made big changes to make sure athletes, coaches, and parents are safe.
Our teams will be smaller - Around 10 athletes per coach. If there is a second coach available then the "team" will split into two smaller teams (of 10ish runners).
Masks are required (by local and state) for coaches & athletes .
Parents and athletes are asked to stay home if they feel unwell.
Check-in and check-out procedures will be conducted by one coach (athletes will be 6-feet apart during check-in)
Hand sanitizer (60% - 95% alcohol content) for athletes and coaches before, during, and after practice.
All warm-up, drills, and workouts will observe social distancing (6-feet apart).
Disinfect equipment (cones) after each practice.
Suspend until further notice all games and drills that require tagging your teammates (i.e. Sharks & Minnows, partner baton relays races, ball throws)
No large meets until further notice / Intrasquad Time Trial races
Melissa Hill, CEO
- Bachelors of Science with a focus on Exercise Science.
- Collegiate runner at Texas Tech University, cross country and track
- Level I and II US Association of Track and Field coaching certification.
- Developed and coached cross country and track teams since 1998.
- Coached athletes and developed running events for Nike Sports Center - 12 years.
- Developed and coached district wide programs for elementary/middle schools in Portland and St. Louis.
- Founding member and coach:Team Athena.
- Co-founder, Women's Running Coaches Collective
- International Running Consultant, China
Howard Lao, COO
- D1 collegiate runner (#7 all time / 60 Hurdles) at the University of Washington.
- 110 Hurdles State Champion / Former State Meet Record Holder
- 2010 Junior Olympics Regional Champ / Seventh at Nationals
- 4x Scholar Athlete + Varsity soccer
- Level I US Association of Track and Field coaching certification.
- 4 years varsity high school coach for Portland Public Schools (Cleveland HS).
- Freelance photographer, covering multiple World Championships - HowLaoPhotography
Melissa & Howard are passionate coaches and former collegiate runners who believe that in a supportive environment, anyone can improve at running and meet personal fitness goals
Runner2Runner Coaching Staff
All Runner2Runner coaches are active USATF members, have completed the USOC SafeSport Course, and have completed extensive background checks.
Currently we have programs based in 5 states; Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Missouri and Texas.
Each coach is certified, has passed a background check and safety tests. Runner2Runner workouts are developed exclusively for young runners, offering safe, progressive and age appropriate training..
Teams typically meet twice a week and participate in area meets (if available) during session.
Students pay an entry fee (see the Register page). Other than team uniforms, running shoes, optional apparel and competition spikes, there are no additional fees.
For more team information, see our FAQ
14 days prior to the first day of practice: $15 fee
13 days prior to the first day of practice: 50% of registration fee refunded
Once season begins there will be no refunds
- If you are interested in a cross country, track and field team, camp or off season training at your school, please contact Howard@runner2runner.com
- To register for an existing team, see the Register page.