Runner2Runner provides school-based running programs for youth athletes.
We develop cross-country, track and field training and competition in a safe, positive and supportive environment.
- Establish teams comprised of boys and girls
- Develop understanding of team and teamwork
- Qualified, experienced, and background checked coaches lead our teams
- Personalized, progressive workouts
- Establish and build athleticism
- Guide athletes through competition
- Instill confidence to excel at life’s challenges and embrace leadership roles
- Promote life-long dedication to healthy living
- USA Track and Field member organization
WHY I STARTED RUNNER2RUNNER, by Melissa Hill
My teams were founded out of a concern for the health of our youth and a desire to teach a skill that will last a lifetime.
I believe early introduction to running in a positive environment promotes a lifelong love of running and healthy living. After moving to Portland, Oregon in 1997, I discovered youth running programs were not offered at our local school. Shortly afterwards, I started cross-country, track and field and running teams at five elementary and middle schools.
As our programs grew, we saw that high school running teams were benefiting from our initiative, resulting in state titles in track and cross country. Providing even a brief, positive introduction to running at an early age provides athletes with a foundation to participate on their high school track or cross country team and in many cases, run at the collegiate level.
Melissa & Howard are passionate coaches and former collegiate runners who believes that in a supportive environment, anyone can improve at running and meet personal fitness goals
Melissa Hill, CEO
- Bachelors of Science with a focus on Exercise Science.
- Level I and II US Association of Track and Field coaching certification.
- Developed and coached cross country and track teams since 1998.
- Coached athletes and developed running events for Nike Sports Center - 12 years.
- Developed and coached district wide programs for elementary/middle schools in Portland and St. Louis.
- Founding member and coach:Team Athena.
- Co-founder, Women's Running Coaches Collective
- International Running Consultant, China
Howard Lao, COO
- R2R coach since 2014, COO as of 2018, Portland Public School hurdles coach since 2016.
- D1 collegiate runner (#7 all time / 60 Hurdles) at the University of Washington.
- Graduated from University of Washington in 2015 - Communications
- High School All American - 110 Hurdles (2010) + Oregon State Champion / Former State Meet Record Holder
- Freelance photographer, covering multiple World Championships - HowLaoPhotography
- Former Insurance Producer for State Farm (10 years)
- Outdoor school, Camp Angelos, Sports Camp of America ( in Japan) counselor throughout high school & college
All Runner2Runner coaches are active USATF members, have completed the USOC SafeSport Course, and have completed extensive background checks.
Current Spring 2019 Coaching Staff
Currently we have teams based in 4 states; Oregon, Washington, Michigan and Missouri with teams coming to Texas this fall (2019).
Each coach is certified, has passed a background check and safety tests. Runner2Runner workouts are developed exclusively for young runners, offering safe, progressive and age appropriate training.
Every team has a website page for communication and team schedules.
Teams typically meet twice a week and participate in area meets during our 8-10 week season.
Students pay a seasonal entry fee (see the Register page). Other than team uniforms, running shoes, optional apparel and competition spikes, there are no additional fees.
For more team information, see our FAQ
Runner2Runner will offer a full refund if the season has not started or a prorated amount with remaining practices.
*All cancellations are subject to a $15 processing fee*
- If you are interested in a cross country or track and field team at your school, please contact Howard@runner2runner.com
- To register for an existing team, see the Register page.